Thursday, March 13, 2008

New Job

Quick update... a week after we landed in Sydney, I got a job as a bartender!! I am so excited about it. I started graduate school in September 2006, so it's been quite a while since I've worked.

I gave myself one week to get adjusted, go to the beach, and explore Sydney. Luckily the first place I inquired at hired me, so the process was quick and painless. Those of you who know me well will find me tending bar very amusing - I have no experience and am very, very clumsy.

I really wanted to work in a bar/restaurant because it would've taken a long time to get a permanent job in an office somewhere, and I wanted to work in a place where I could meet people and be outside. Before I know it I'll be back in Boston, wasting my days away in a stuffy office. So I'm going to enjoy this while I can!!

I wanted to work really close to our apartment, which is why I picked this place - it's basically an upscale pub in Woolloomooloo, right on the water - you can see our apartment from the front door! I started earlier this week and it's been really great so far. I'll post more about it soon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU are a bartender!?!? I LOVE IT. I just found my Drink flash cards from our summer together in Orkney when i bartended all those Red Sox games at Who's ;) Too bad - I could have sent them to you. HAHAH. I wish I could be there and you could serve me a malibu bay breeze!!

Leeny said...

YES! and it's definitely as hilarious as you would imagine. I break so many glasses and it's hard for me to understand all the accents so I always make the wrong drinks. Thank god the customers find it endlessly amusing. It's a really fun gig.