Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Quick update...

It’s beginning to feel like Christmas here in London! It hardly feels like Thanksgiving at all though, and I am very sad that I won’t be home to celebrate this week.

Jen’s parents are here visiting for the week and we are all going to a restaurant on Thursday to have a traditional Thanksgiving dinner (yes, thankfully there are plenty of places that cater to Americans!!)

We had a fun weekend… Friday night we went to see The Departed, which was really good but made me homesick. For those who haven’t seen it, they filmed in Beacon Hill, our old neighborhood, at the Fore River Shipyard, and a bunch of other places around Boston. Before the movie we went to a small Italian place for dinner, and a British guy at the table next to ours erupted over the 12.5% service charge that was added to his bill. That is pretty common here, but he yelled at anyone who would listen, saying it was his right to determine the amount of tip he wanted to leave. I might've have agreed with him (although 12.5% is not a lot, IMHO) but not only was it printed clearly on the menu that tip was included, the guy was completely rude. We, of course, thought it was hysterical (although we felt bad for the servers) until he finished his rant saying “you know, it's not like we’re in America” – referring to the American tipping culture that everyone in Britan makes fun of – and leaving with “this is totally going on my blog!!!!” Which made me feel like an absolute tool for having a blog as well.

Anyways, the rest of the weekend I spent doing schoolwork and shopping with Jen for dresses for a formal boat cruise we’re going to next weekend. On Saturday night we attempted to watch the OSU-Michigan game, but no luck. They were showing it at a sports bar but so many Americans showed up that we couldn’t even get in! We waited in line for a while and finally gave up. Terry was so disappointed to see it called “the game of the century” by the Boston Globe the next day. We went to another pub where we met some very nice people from Wales and then got pretty much enveloped by the cast of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Terry claims he got checked out by one of the brothers - we saw no evidence of that).

So not too much exciting stuff but I thought I’d give an update anyways. Got to get back to work… Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving Leen! It sounds like you are having an amazing time. Everybody misses you, especially now. But keep your head up and have a blast and kick some ass in school and tell Terry I feel his pain...many a time have I been watching through the windows just to catch a glimpse of a "American football" game...and for those of us who did see it...game of the century may be a little strong...Rutgers and Lousiville was much more exciting, so he didnt miss much! Happy Turkry Day again , I'm glad its everything you hoped it would be, talk to you sooner rather than later, -Bri