We were back in London in time for New Year's Eve, and Terry and I decided to keep it low key. I did school work all day, and then Terry and I went out to dinner at around 8. We walked around and found a fancy steakhouse type place in Covent Garden and had a great meal and a couple bottles of wine.
Afterwards, we decided to walk around for a while. It was cool walking around that super touristy area – everyone was so happy, there was music and entertainment, they were selling booze on the streets. Here's Terry with some mulled wine (hot red wine with seasonings) that we bought from a street vendor...
Then we thought we’d check out the fireworks, which turned out to be not so simple. We headed towards the Thames, and after meandering with a large crowd for a bit, we managed to get ourselves entangled in a MASS of people. These pics were taken before it got really very crowded:


We were getting seriously squished, the crowd was just heaving and swaying en masse back and forth, and I started to have a panic attack! It was really scary, and I’m terrified of small, enclosed spaces. I seriously thought my body would be crushed. Here's Terry, thinking this is really not our kind of scene!
When people noticed I was freaking out and Terry was trying to calm me down, everyone around me immediately changed from being incredibly aggressive to being incredibly helpful, and they managed to get me to the side, where we sort of maneuvered our way out of the crowd after a while. But since there were so many people, all the streets, subway, buses were closed in the area, and we had to walk home. It took about an hour and a half (for about a 5 minute bus ride). I’ve never been to Times Square on New Year’s Eve, but I imagine it’s the same thing. Never again for me, needless to say!
No comments:
Post a Comment