Thursday, November 06, 2008

We are the world...

Finally. We have won. It's done. Bush is... done. Hopefully Sarah Palin fades into obscurity, where she belongs. And the gracious in defeat John McCain will take his deserved place in our history as a man of honor who compromised his integrity by listening to the wrong (Bush/Rove) advisors and made terrible choices in a campaign of hate. Senator Clinton - god love her - did her part with gusto and campaigned hard for Obama and all the other Democrats who made incredibly significant victories, including several progressive women candidates.

The American people have spoken, in strong favor of progressive and substantive policies and against the ideology of hate and fear. I live on the other side of the world, yet I have never felt more proud and privileged to be born an American.

Living abroad, I used to feel ashamed when people asked, "What's that accent?" Because when I responded brightly, "I'm American!", I saw disappointment, often scorn, and even hatred in their eyes. It's been a long road. I remember being in Washington in 2003 and marching against the war, holding a candle and standing with my Canadian roommate - both of us hoping and praying that the inevitable weren't true. I remember standing with Terry on our first date, in downtown Boston at Kerry's election night "victory" party, only to see the election returns make my hope in America's future - my future - diminish greatly.

But my hope never died. I wept last night. For our country, for Obama and the leader he is, and for all who have fought so long and so hard and especially those who've turned the corner on bigotry and prejudice. I have always been proud to be an American. But I have been walking around with my Barack Obama button on my chest, smiling and engaging with foreigners who are celebrating with me for the new America. Obama cannot and will not be president to the world - he will always put our best interests first. But I accept the hearty congratulations offered by these strangers, on behalf of you all.

No comments: