Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Our Nocturnal Mates



There is a MAJOR bat problem in Sydney. I believe I've mentioned it before. The bats sleep all day long in the park abutting to the wharf, and then as soon as the sun sets - BOOM! They all flight out of the park, across the water, and towards our apartment, finally flying away over our heads. We don't know where they go, but they fly up and over the building every night. These pictures don't really do the bats justice - they are enormous, very loud, and pretty terrifying (to me). They travel in massive packs and black out the sky. And spread the guano!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Anonymous said...

Leeney:

I can't stop laughing about your Nocturnal Mates. I'm sure living with the pesty flying rodents isn't nearly as humorous, but the thoughts of you on the balcony darting to the floor as they target their flight over your building, cracks me up. Only You ! Poor Terry, I'm sure the nightly ritual will be resolved by him getting skeet shooting practices ! Can't wait for the next update about your great adventure.

Love UT !

AvianMaven said...

The city should do soemthing about the bats. They can carry diseases. Rabies is well known, but histoplasmosis is also a potentially fatal disease that humans can get from exposure to bat droppings. the city, or anyone personally should look into purchasing a bat deterrent. Bird-X offers humane and eco-friendly solutions.